MY FAVORITE FRENCH RESTAURANT.
FOOD AND SERVICE WAS PERFECT. THE MAITRE'D WAS WARM AND WELCOMING AND SAT US RIGHT AWAY. OUR WAITER WAS GREAT AND SUGGESTED THE PERFECT ROSE WINE TO GO WITH OUR MEAL. I HAD THE LAMB AND IT WAS THE BEST I'VE EVER HAD. THE WINTER SALAD WAS DELICIOUS TOO. YOU HAVE TO TRY THEIR CHOCOLATE SOUFFLE TOO...ITS TO DIE FOR! THEY EVEN STAYED OPEN LATE FOR US
*EDIT* I BELIEVE THEY'RE CLOSED DOWN
In a word: Meh.
Summary: We paid a visit to Chanteclair on a mellow weekday evening, palates whet by such a accolades as "Best French in Irvine" and "Zagat Rated", and left a bit aloof and underwhelmed. I don't know if it picks up on weekends or for happy hour, but on the weekday we went it was just barren. The food's presentation overall was decent, but the taste decidedly muted.
Appetizer: Foie Gras and Truffles. Decent.
Entree: Venison. Decent.
- Decent ambience that makes it feel nestled away, with lively yet refined furnishings.
- Probably okay for business meetings if you stick to tried and true dishes.
- Food presentation was decent.
- Maitre d was slightly haughty, but not near haughty enough for a French restaurant of their claimed repute.
- Waiter was inattentive, which is pretty amazing considering I only saw 2 other filled tables in the ENTIRE RESTAURANT. (And they were filled with a group of 2 and a group of 4)
- Food taste was mediocre.
As a reference restaurant I used French 75 off of Jamboree in Irvine, which I enjoyed a bit more.
Great quailty Food - Martinis to die for. I really enjoyed my first visit to Chanteclair for lunch after several years. The new owner came to our table and said hi, we felt important. The Blackend Ahi Tuna Sandwich was the bomb. Nicole in the bar made awsome lemon drop martinis! I would highly recommend this place.
Sign in with Facebook Sign in with Facebook to see what your friends are up to!